Elva

Elva

Sunday 26 May 2013

Brands - Race One ....

Sorry I had to leave you all hanging there, but I had to get the BBQ and kit out to feed the kids, something else I don't think Lewis Hamilton has to think about!

So when we left it, we had a much depleted Class, and Iain had the gearbox in pieces. My gearbox has a hard life and for that reason it comes to pieces after most weekends; we therefore know that it goes back together like a Lego kit ... Doesn't it ... So we were still not concerned even when we were told that the race could be called early... But this time it didn't want to go back together. Iain swore at it, and dug some bigger hammers out of his toolbox, I stressed, but kept away! The clock ticked down, the race was called ... We heard them go round on the Formation lap to the grid... I had got changed (as much as anything to show confidence that Iain was going to get it back together; although I thought the confidence could be misplaced!)

Anyway, leaving reverse and first gear out of it meant that the rest of the bit fitted again (!), with I was told to strap in just as I heard the cars go round again on their Green Flag lap. I'm then told to fire it up and be gone ... No matter that some of the gears are in the tray, and there's no rear bodywork, and no heat etc. With a busy paddock you cannot rush through for fear of taking out a toddler! Ironically I'm following the Faccioli which has only just got going too. As I exit the tunnel the cars are going down the back straight on lap one... And I really don't know what the rules say about me starting the race now ... I enter the deserted Assembly area to find the big gate shut and no marshals, but there's a small gate open, I reckon it's about the width of an Elva 200, and those marshals are looking the other way 'cos there's a race on! So I nip through... now I'm tootling down the pitlane, at the end there's an official on a radio, waving at the control tower and pointing at me ... Please don't stop me, not even briefly, there's a hill and I haven't got first gear even in the car ... As I get there he waves me through ... I'm racing! Still no heat in anything, and a lap or so down, but I'm racing! Considering the situation I decide it's pointless to 'push on', the gearbox was thrown together in a hurry, and my mental state and heart rate are probably not perfect, I might as well take it a bit easy, use less engine life, keep out the way of the fast guys, and hope we get to the chequered flag!

I never got to see the chequered flag ... But I did finish the race. It was red flagged close to the end because of a shunt round the back of the circuit, Dietrich Merkel coming off at Westfield, and having the huge misfortune to hit another car stranded there after an earlier 'off', neither car will play any further part this weekend. A race of high attrition, quite a few cars failing to finish. For my efforts I end up second in class C2 - just for the record that is also last! But with these races scored over an aggregate of the two races at each event, it means that if I finish tomorrow then I can qualify for a result and points. Funny old game.

Kim's car did get released by customs and is now here, ready for tomorrow.

Super sunny afternoon at Brands, Iain takes the gearbox to pieces again, whilst I go off with the kids. Nice evening BBQ with a couple of beers (more excellent beer from Brother-in-law, Phil's, highly recommended Longdog Brewery.) Ready for bed, I'm exhausted!

More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment